Sunday, March 26, 2006

We are in Nanning, waiting for our overnight train to Kunming. Nanning is close to the Vietnamese border and is famous for its Canine Cuisine District. We opted for a less exotic lunch.

We have been in China for 3 weeks now and are heading to Kunming to pick up our visas for Laos. That border crossing will probably be one of the hardest parts of our journey, but we are relaxed, well rested, happy and healthy.

One thing I forgot to mention was my karaoke experience on the 3 gorges boat trip. After listening to some screeching Chinese lady sing some tunes I decided to give it a go. The lounge went silent as they wathced the foreigner belt out Revolution by the Beatles. With lyrics like: "If you go around carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow," I have no idea how that song got past the censors. Anyhow, I got a huge ovation from the local crowd, and even a rose from a female admirer. Definitely one of my finest karaoke moments.

5 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger 11111111 said...

C'mon! An ovation for your singing? Winger, I've seen you sing karaoke before, there were no ovations. You must have been in rare form.
I hope the Chairman rolled over in his grave after that one.

 
At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip!! Glad you finally changed the settings as I didn't feel like creating a blog just to leave you a silly message. Hope all is well, looking forward to some interesting tales from Laos and beyond.

Woof Woof!

Sarah.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you again. Ⅰ fell a little bit unhappy to hear
that the Canine Cuisine Manner is remaining in China even now.
Because I have a pretty dog in my house.
But on the other hand ,I realy realy recognize that the food is depened upon their own culture.
Then I cannot oppose to that Manner.
Please enjoy your journey and please report the real world which you saw your own eyes. I’m looking forward to see you again soon. Fumio Kobe Japan

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Thanks Molly. We still may try dog. Or maybe we already have and didn't know it ...

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Pete said...

My karaoke skills improved significantly in Japan. I can also do a wicked Mr. Roboto by Styx.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home